Accent Yourself Handcrafted Jewelry

My name is Barb Macy and this is my blog for Accent Yourself Handcrafted Jewelry. I work with sterling silver wire & sheet and enjoy using beads and sea glass in my work and really been enjoy chain maille projects. I gladly accept custom orders. I have a website for my jewelry at www.accentyourself.com.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Mequon, Wisconsin, United States

Wednesday, March 26, 2008

How to Make Your Own Earring Cards

I like the look of home made earring cards. It just seems to work better (for me) with my handmade jewelry. Plus, it helps me create specialized packaging for the different shops where I sell my things. I print all my earring cards at home on my laser printer. And, I use the perforated business cards that you can buy at places like Staples & Office Max. Here is an example. I buy packs of scrapbooking paper from Wal-mart, Target, and other craft stores.
  1. I start with my cutting mat that I used to use for quilting, a rotary cutter, a large ruler & scrapbooking paper. I usually work with the large books of coordinating colors & patterns. I also use different color schemes for different shops. For the salons, I use the bright, bold patterns shown. For the art galleries, I use a darker, more subdued color & pattern scheme. Line up the paper and cut a 4-inch wide strip.

  2. Next, after I have a stack of 4-inch strips cut, I cut those strips into cards that are 2 1/2 inches wide. Your finished card should be 4 x 2 1/2 inches.

  3. Tear or cut apart the printed business cards. Make sure you have them printed prior to attaching them or you won't be able to get them through your printer. Attach with any adhesive, like a spray or double-sided tape.

  4. Pierce two holes in the finished card. I like to use a safety pin or a lapel pin because it has a very sharp point and makes a small, tight hole that keeps the earring securely in place.

  5. Finally, add an earring card adapter to the back. I purchase mine through JS Ritter and they are not expensive.
I apologize for the poor picture quality, however, today is a dreary, rainy day in Oregon and there just isn't any good light coming through my windows! But, you can get the basic idea of how to make your own earring cards without spending a lot of money.
What I like the best about this type of card is that you can make endless designs and you aren't stuck with one style like you would if you used professionally printed cards. A couple of my shops don't allow me to put my website on my earring & jewelry cards, so I have the freedom to print different versions on the business cards. Right now, I think I have 4 different versions, plus several different color schemes in shops.
Have a nice day! And, thanks for stopping by my blog!

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

28 Comments:

Blogger TexasTesla said...

Great post! I have some very plain earring cards, and have been playing with a way to attach my business card on the front. Thanks for the inspiration.

12:41 PM  
Blogger Scott Bulger Photography said...

Nice job on the earring cards. Well done on te tutorial as well.

12:42 PM  
Blogger Callooh Callay said...

Beautiful cards! I've been needing to make something similar up (for brooches and pendants), and this idea looks highly adaptable (your jewelry is gorgeous too!).

2:14 PM  
Blogger Barb Macy said...

Thanks for the comments! I appreciate it!

2:49 PM  
Blogger Mei said...

Thank you for sharing this post. Been thinking of how to make them for sometime and now I have the idea. Thanks once again.
Mei

5:15 PM  
Blogger outofthepinksky said...

Excellent tutorial and your cards look wonderful.

6:37 PM  
Blogger Maria said...

great tutorial!

6:38 PM  
Blogger Mary Ann said...

Great tutorial. Thanks for sharing.

6:43 PM  
Blogger sherry said...

This is great. My shop stickers arrived today and I will put them to good use.

7:32 PM  
Blogger nancyrosetta said...

Thanks for posting this. These are cool earring cards, and the design possibilities are endless. I will be making some!

8:48 PM  
Blogger Beading Help Web Editorial Team said...

Wow, I love the "framed" look of these earring cards, Barb...you've really come up with something unique and beautiful!!!

Off to "fix" all of my current PLAIN BORING earring cards....

Lynn

6:16 AM  
Blogger Barb Macy said...

Thanks, Everyone! I enjoyed receiving your comments. Glad I was able to help!

6:32 AM  
Blogger Deb Cox said...

Great cards! I've done somethind similar in the past but you've taken it a step further -very professional and unique looking!
At least the light is better today with the SNOW!
Deb Cox, Portland, OR
www.facets-designs.com

10:57 AM  
Blogger Lisa said...

How neat! Thanks for sharing!

11:10 PM  
Blogger Alorinna said...

Thanks, this is great :)

8:57 AM  
Anonymous myeventures said...

Thanks for this post. I wanted customized earring cards. I never thought about making them myself. Another thought is to make them using Vista Prints free business cards. You would have to punch your own holes, but at least the cards are cheap (S/H).

12:01 PM  
Blogger purplbutrfly said...

Hi!
Thanks for this post! It was very useful for when I had to send earrings off to give to friends. I mentioned you and this blog entry in my own blog. I added a link to this post, too.

My entry with reference to this may be viewed at:
http://purplbutrflyjewelry.blogspot.com/2008/09/friends-in-far-places.html

Thanks again. This was very helpful!

8:04 PM  
Anonymous Sharon Gypsy Creations by Shar said...

Barb,
Thanks for the post. It was extremely helpful. I was tired of the earring cards that I had purchased from the art supply companies and wanted something homemade and more creative. Yours are great. Thanks again.

6:05 PM  
Blogger Moonqueen1 said...

This a great idea! These are the most creative jewelry tags I have seen.Thanx so much for sharing!

11:12 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Thanks so much for the helpful hint. I look forward to following you! Barb

12:50 PM  
Blogger The Beading Gem said...

Excellent tutorial! I will link on a future blog post!

8:17 AM  
Blogger Barb Macy said...

Thank you!

12:18 PM  
Anonymous Amal said...

Great Thank you very much

6:19 AM  
Anonymous Christine said...

Great tutorials! Thanks so much for sharing your knowledge!

1:57 PM  
Anonymous Custom Design Jewelry said...

Excellent tutorial! It was very useful to the visitors and handmade jewelry maker to make their jewelry very attractive and impressive.

7:48 PM  
Blogger Marcia said...

God bless you for your great idea and for sharing with us.

4:43 AM  
Anonymous Jewelry Creations by Gissele Michal said...

I love your simple but elegant earring cards. This is one of the most simplistic and eye-catching tutorials that I have seen.

Thank you for sharing,
Jewelry Creations by Gissele Michal

2:26 PM  
Blogger Mahmood said...

Your design earring cards are looking amazing you have done a great job.
Plastic Business Cards

4:02 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home


View my page on Indiepublic
Add to Technorati Favorites