Accent Yourself Handcrafted Jewelry

My name is Barb Macy and this is my blog for Accent Yourself Handcrafted Jewelry. I work with sterling silver wire & sheet and enjoy using beads and sea glass in my work and really been enjoy chain maille projects. I gladly accept custom orders. I have a website for my jewelry at www.accentyourself.com.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Mequon, Wisconsin, United States

Thursday, February 21, 2008

Briolette Flower Pendant Tutorial

I've written a guide on how to make Briolette Flower Pendants a couple of years ago. I saw something similar to these demonstrated on a couple other websites, but decided to change it up a bit for myself and "make it my own"! I'm sure I didn't invent this technique, but you are free to make as many of these cute little flowers as you want! When finished, I string them on a leather choker, finished with sterling silver ends & a clasp. They also look great on a sterling silver omega chain or a wire choker.

I use both semi-precious and glass briolette beads and a variety of smaller beads for the center of the flower. For the wire-wrapped portion, I use 22 ga. dead soft sterling silver wire. To sew the smaller beads into the center, I use .010 or .014 SoftFlex beading wire. When finished, I tumbler the entire pendant to harden & shine the wire. You could also tumble the pendant before you sew in the center beads.

Pictured above are some examples of finished pendants. I typically use flat faceted briolette/teardrop beads that are about 12mm x 18mm & side drilled -- sometimes smaller ones, which make really cute flowers. I've also made the smaller flowers into rings (see below). With the 12 x 18mm size beads, the finished flower is approximately 2 inches in diameter.

To view my tutorial, it is published on my website at http://www.accentyourself.com/. Here is a direct link . . . Briolette Flower Tutorial. Feel free to use my techniques in your jewelry making activities. If you are going to sell these using this technique, all I ask is that you give me a little credit......thanks!

Here is a link to a wonderful tutorial on how to make wrapped wire ends for leather cord, by Cheryl Coccaro, of Gypsy Woman Designer Jewelry. It is an AWESOME technique & they hold up beautifully. I use this technique on all my leather cord necklaces now. I attach a jump ring and a lobster clasp to the ends. Previously, I used hook & eye crimp ends to finish the choker, however, I had too many of them break, fall off, and just not work properly. This is a MUCH more secure technique for finishing leather cord. Thanks, Cheryl!

Enjoy making these cute flowers. They are a great piece to wear in Spring & Summer and make a great gift for the gardener in your life!

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Gemheaven said...

I still have my flower you sent me in the Art swap - I love it :D

4:30 AM  
Anonymous Carrie said...

I make something similar to these except that I wrap both ends of the wire used to make the petals into the flower, then make stamens with head pins going through the center of the wire, and then use the ends of the headpins to wrap the flower onto any kind of wire armature (a ring, a loop to make a pendant, etc.). I'll be experimenting with your technique as well!

6:06 PM  
Blogger Jaysmar said...

Great tut...helped me out big time...I do have question though...about the tutorial on how to make wrapped wire ends for leather cord, I tried the link but it did not work, do you have one up on your site? It was be spectacular if you did.

Thanks a mil for this one though!

8:19 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home


View my page on Indiepublic
Add to Technorati Favorites